I also considered calling this post “SNOWGASM 2011,” so just know that that was also a viable option. In case you missed any single news broadcast in the past 36 hours, there’s a giant storm bearing down on most of the plains states and the Midwest. Here in Chicago, we are expecting close to two feet of snow, and every weatherman on television is practically delirious with excitement. If they forecast another 2 inches of accumulation, WGN’s Tom Skilling is literally going to have a heart attack on-air.
But don’t worry, if there’s one thing that’s been scientifically proven AGAIN AND AGAIN, it’s that if you are snowed in, it is best to get blackout drunk. Failing that, you should listen to some quality music, which is HEAVE comes in: with the best blizzard playlist you’re going to find.
Not all of these songs reference winter or snow; I just think they would sound good on a wintry day, and, as we’ve established, my entirely subjective and personal opinion trumps everything. Enjoy!:
1. Fleet Foxes – “White Winter Hymnal”:
2. Alicia Keys – “If I Ain’t Got You”:
3. Midlake – “Young Bride”:
4. The Black Keys – “Everlasting Light”:
5. Lupe Fiasco – “Hurt Me Soul”:
6. Low vs. Diamond – “Don’t Forget Sister”;
7. Bruce Springsteen – “Save My Love” (Live, as Bruce should always be heard):
8. The Frames – “Fitzcarraldo” (Live, as The Frames should always be heard):
9. Kanye West – “Lost in the World”:
10. Neko Case – “This Tornado Loves You”:
11. Bob Dylan – “Sad-Eyed Lady of the Lowlands”: